Thursday, October 14, 2010

Mirrors and Wires on An Uncontrollable Urge

Review of Mirrors and Wires show at Shea Stadium (Brooklyn) with Japanther, Math the Band and Double Dagger on September 24th:

"I didn’t know anything about them going in, but by the name, I would’ve guessed they’d sound like XTC. Once I saw them setting up the Theremin, I guessed something else was up. As their set went on I discovered they sounded more and more like a surf band doing their best to disguise the fact that they’re a surf band, by covering everything in sludge, noise, and heavy metal sounds. Is “post-surf” a thing? What about a “surf-dirge?” Is that a real? Did I hear one of those last night? Yes. And it was gnarly. When I say “experimental surf-rock,” you may think Man or Astro-man?, but Mirrors and Wires takes the same foundation Dick Dale set down fifty-whatever years ago, and stretches it in a direction I’ve not heard anyone attempt with that style. This was definitely a happy surprise, and I wasn’t expecting anything like it."


An Uncontrollable Urge

No comments:

Post a Comment